Sunday, August 15, 2010

Stitches in Time

I intended to do some sewing up at my parents' house this weekend, but instead I played with my new camera, put together LEGOs, and...did actual work.

I also documented the three cross-stitch projects I have given to my parents as gifts over the years. The first is one of my earliest pieces, completed in 1992. I do remember becoming frustrated while sewing it (I was only 15), but I'm pleased with how it turned out.




















The second piece dates from 2004, to commemorate my parents' 30th anniversary (number 36 is this Tuesday). Compared to many of my other projects, it's fairly simple.




















And finally, what I consider to be the best of the three. For many years, my mom collected artwork by a woman named Doris Morgan. She probably has twenty of her pictures, located in nearly every room of the house. Naturally, when I found a cross-stitch kit based on her work, it only made sense to make it. The fact that the house in the picture resembles my parents' (at the time) new home in Fond du Lac just made it better. I even customized it with their house number!

Unfortunately, the glass and the amount of light in the living room made the picture turn out less clear than I had hoped.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely remember seeing, and loving, that first one in your parents' home in Grayslake. And in fact I think it was what inspired me to try starting that wizard. Remember my cross-stitch wizard? It's still not done...

    These are gorgeous, as always. I bet your mom freaked out at the Doris Morgan. How cool.

    ReplyDelete